The Classic Flat is back for Spring/Summer 2023
With the first month of the year behind us, February is the month designers showcase their Spring/Summer collections at Fashion Week. I will be update you all in my usual Catwalk Inspiration Style Post. However, for now I want to talk footwear. If, like me, you have been spending the majority of your time in boots and leather plimsoles here’s a sneak peak of a spring/summer style that will be a huge trend for the season. Enter stage left…
The Ballet Flat
Of course, the ballet flat has never really gone away. It has been a classic since 1957 when Chanel first created her signature beige and black style. The designer is said to have disliked her feet, and this hang-up inspired her to create a shoe that was elegant yet practical. New versions of this classic have continued to appear on the Chanel catwalk every season.
I have a love/hate relationship with ballet flats. I love a beautiful, well-crafted pair with a proper sole and heel. However, I constantly see cheap, flimsy versions with no support and no structure. This does very little for your posture or your style!
Ballet flats can look cool and chic when worn with the right outfit. Here are my favourite styles together with outfit ideas to make them work for you. I hope it inspires you to find the perfect pair. Enjoy!
A few simple guidelines to remember:
- Cropped trousers and jeans work best with ballet flats as opposed to full length wide leg versions;
- A bold colour or metallic style will look super pretty and adds interest to the simplest outfit;
- Ballet flats elongate the leg – however, avoid straps and ribbon ties unless you have slim legs.
- Avoid ballet pumps with over-rounded toes which will make your feet look short and stubby (never a good look!);
- Pointed styles will look fabulous if you have a slim ankle whereas square-toed versions look great if you have a wider leg.
- Ballet pumps will be available to suit all tastes and budgets but remember to opt for the best quality you can afford – they are a true classic. Look for sale versions, or those from outlets such as Bicester Village; Secret Sales or pre-loved sites such as Vestiaire Collective
You’re very welcome
Have a great week-end and feel free to share this post.