The shoes you wear say so much about you – what do you want yours to say?
Shoes are my guilty pleasure. I love them for many reasons: they give me confidence; they improve my posture and shape; they can make the simplest outfit special and, above all, they make me feel good – wherever I’m headed. Just this week I stepped out in my new French Connection strappy ‘lipstick’ pair.
I wore them with skinny jeans (turned up of course) and a white shirt: a simple outfit so my shoes could do all the talking! I wore them all day (block heels are so comfortable) and received great compliments. It was lovely to tell people, despite buying them in the January sales, they are still available (also in navy and tan if ‘lipstick’ isn’t your colour!).
Now, more than ever, shoes are available in a variety of styles. Whether you are looking for a beautiful kitten heel, a trendy block or wedge style, or a statement flat – the high-street will have you spoilt for choice.
When personal shopping with my clients I always ask them to be open-minded and try different styles, shapes and colours. It’s a joy when we discover a fabulous new style (they wouldn’t have previously considered) that they not only love but will transform their wardrobe.
So, before you head out shoe shopping here are some guidelines to bear in mind:
- make sure your style of shoe compliments your shape. If you are small and petite steer clear of shoes and sandals that are too heavy and solid; likewise if you are broader and larger avoid shoes that are too dainty and strappy;
- there is no need to match your shoes with your handbag, in fact, for weddings and special occasions avoid it – it can really date your outfit;
- don’t save your dressy shoes for special occasions - wearing statement heels with denim can look amazing – a very stylish look;
- if you have short legs avoid ankle strap shoes as they will immediately shorten you;
- wearing a one-colour outfit is always a great excuse to go bold with your shoe choice.
- remember, everyone can wear heels – you just need to (or I need to) find the right ones!
Here is a selection of shoes from the high-street to inspire you for the season ahead.
Have a great week-end and feel free to share this post.